What is an Accessible Media Producer (AMP)?

AMPs are companies or agencies that create fully-accessible specialized, student-ready formats, such as braille, large print, audio, or digital book. An Authorized User (AU) of the NIMAC may contract with an AMP to produce the needed specialized format from a NIMAS file. All contractual arrangements between educational agencies and AMPs take place outside of the NIMAC.

Back to top

What's the difference between an AMP and a conversion house?

An AMP is an organization that takes a NIMAS file and converts it into a specialized format for an Authorized User, while conversion houses convert electronic files into NIMAS format for publishers to submit to the NIMAC. In other words, conversion houses create NIMAS source files, whereas AMPs take those source files and produce student-ready formats. While some organizations may provide the services of both an AMP and a conversion house, most are one or the other.

Back to top

Why do AMPs register with the NIMAC?

If an AMP is registered with the NIMAC and has arranged to produce a specialized format for an Authorized User, the AU can choose to assign the file to the AMP in the NIMAC portal, so that the AMP can directly download and begin working on the file. This option is provided for the convenience of the AU, who can eliminate the delay involved in downloading the file, burning it to CD or DVD and then mailing it or otherwise delivering it to their chosen AMP.

Back to top

Is there any cost involved in registering with the NIMAC?

No. Registering with the NIMAC is entirely voluntary and there is no fee.

Back to top

Does the NIMAC rank AMPs or provide other evaluations of their quality?

No. Authorized Users should use the same criteria as in the past to determine the AMP who best meets a given need. NIMAC does not guarantee, evaluate or endorse any AMP who registers. All arrangements between AU and AMP for producing student-ready formats occur outside the NIMAC.

Back to top

Do AMPs have access to all the files in the NIMAC repository?

No. An AMP can only download a file if it has been assigned to the AMP by an Authorized User.

Back to top

How do I register as an Accessible Media Producer?

  1. Just contact the NIMAC and we will send you the link to the registration page. Once you fill out the online registration, this will create a pending registration in the NIMAC system for you.
  2. When you submit the online registration form, a Limitation of Use Agreement (LUA) will automatically be emailed to the address entered on the form. (The LUA also may be downloaded directly from NIMAC web site at: NIMAC Limitation of Use Agreement.) Sign the agreement and mail a hard copy to NIMAC:

    National Instructional Materials Access Center
    1839 Frankfort Ave.
    Louisville, KY 40206-0085

Once the NIMAC has received the signed LUA, the account will be activated and you will receive your user ID and password information in two separate emails. Note: If you are in need of having your account activated more quickly, you are welcome to fax us the LUA or scan and email it to us. We are happy to activate your account while we await the hard copy in the mail.

Once your account has been activated, AUs can assign files to you for download!

Back to top

How will I know if I have been assigned files for download?

When you are assigned a file by an Authorized User, the system will automatically send you a notification email. This email will include information about the file that was assigned, the Authorized User who assigned it, and the format that they are requesting.

APH also maintains a list at:

NIMAS exemplars can also be found at the web site for the National Center on AEM: NIMAS Exemplars

Back to top

I have questions about the NIMAS specification. Where can I get help?

Please direct these questions to the NIMAS Technical Assistance Center at CAST. The director of the center is Chuck Hitchcock, and his contact information is:

TEL: 781-245-2212 x233

Back to top

What about issues of payment for work, timely delivery and quality?

As an AMP, any contractual relationship to perform work on behalf of an Authorized User is directly between you and the Authorized User. These relationships are outside the NIMAC and the NIMAC itself is not involved in any way in these negotiations.

Back to top

Public Search Login to NIMAC